Our Privacy Commitment
Rip Curl Group Pty Ltd (ACN 068 999 520), Rip Curl Proprietary Limited (NZBN 9429039279897) and its related bodies corporate (collectively referred to as "Rip Curl" and individually referred to as a "Rip Curl entity", or as “we”) are committed to respecting the privacy of any personal information it obtains. Rip Curl's Australian and New Zealand entities are subject to the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) and New Zealand Privacy Principles (APPs) in the Privacy Act 1993 (Cth).
Personal Information is information about you that identifies you or information by which your identity can be reasonably determined.
Personal information we may collect from you
We collect Personal Information about you directly from you (or from your authorised representative), when you:
- complete an online form on one of our websites or with a third party through a link from one of our websites;
- visit, search for and browse our websites or stores;
- complete a hard copy form or provide your information to us in person, in-store;
- apply for membership with our clubs or other program;
- create an online account through one of our websites;
- purchase or return goods or services from us in certain circumstances such as through our website, if you deal with us by reference to your membership or loyalty program, or if you pay other than by cash;
- receive product, team, and event news or submit a product review;
- connect with us on social media;
- enter a competition, sweepstakes, contest, promotion or survey; or
- contact us by telephone, mail, email or online (including via social media).
We may collect and process data from the information you give us including, without limitation, your name, address, email address and phone number, financial or credit card information and purchase order history. You may also give us information about your areas of interest, style, gender and size, preferences and email preferences.
With regard to your visits to our websites or use of our digital watch and app, we may automatically collect the following information about you:
- Technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer or device to the Internet, your login information, data on your screen settings and device settings, such as point and scroll settings of your mouse, web browser type and version, geolocation and information about your ride, run or other activity, time zone settings, operating system and platform and other general information; and
- Information about your use or visit, including statistical information about visits to pages on the site, the products you viewed or searched for, page response times, download errors, duration of individual page view, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks and mouse-overs) and the paths taken by you through the site, plus the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through and from our site (including date and time). The nature of the information collected will depend on the purpose for which it is being collected.
We may also collect Personal Information about you from a third party or a publicly available source. We also work closely with third parties (including, for example, business partners, joint marketers, sub-contractors in technical, payment and delivery services, advertising networks, analytics providers, social media companies, search information providers) and may receive information about you from them. We may combine this data with other information we collect.
We collect Personal Information for purposes that are directly related to our business activities and when it is necessary for or directly related to such purposes. We also collect Personal Information related to information security and other corporate service functions.
How do we use your Personal Information?
We use your Personal Information in the following ways:
- carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us and to provide services and products to you;
- to enable you to purchase products or services you decide to purchase from us and to process your orders and deal with administrative issues, including contacting you where you have initiated a transaction with us but that transaction has not been completed for any reason;
- answer your inquiries and deliver customer service to you;
- provide you with information about other goods and services we offer that are similar to those that you have already purchased or enquired about;
- provide you, or permit selected third parties to provide you, with information about other products or services that we think may be of interest to you according to your preferences and applicable law;
- maintain and improve customer services;
- administer our membership, loyalty and/or other program;
- facilitate your interaction with us on our website and in our stores including CCTV;
- meet our legal or compliance obligations;
- manage and resolve any legal or commercial complaints and issues;
- carry out internal functions including training;
- notify you about changes to our services or terms;
- conduct marketing research and analysis;
- to administer our site, watch and app and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical, and survey purposes;
- to improve our site to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer or device;
- to allow you to participate in interactive features of our service when you choose to do so;
- as part of our efforts to keep our site safe and secure;
- to measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising we serve to you and others, and to deliver relevant advertising to you; and
- to make suggestions and recommendations to you and other users of our site about goods or services that may interest you or them.
If you choose not to provide certain Personal Information, you should be aware that we may not be able to provide you with some of the services and/or products you are seeking.
Under what circumstances do we disclose your Personal Information?
In the course of conducting our business and providing our products and services to you, we may disclose your Personal Information when one of the following applies:
- you have consented to or been notified of the disclosure;
- we sell, buy, reorganize, merge, or dissolve businesses or assets;
- we engage another company or organization to perform certain business-related functions on our behalf, including web hosting, maintaining databases, cloud storage, and other information system services, promotional, research or marketing activities and processing payments, provided that such companies and organizations will only receive and/or have access to the Personal Information (if any) necessary to allow them to perform their specific functions, and we take reasonable steps to ensure such companies and organizations appropriately protect and respect the privacy of your Personal Information;
- you would reasonably expect, or have been told, that your information is passed to those individuals, bodies, or agencies;
- if you voluntarily enter a contest or sweepstakes, we may publicly disclose the name, city, and state of winners or
- it is otherwise required or authorised by law or we believe it is necessary to comply with a legal or compliance obligation, protect and defend our rights or property, act in urgent circumstances to protect the personal safety of our users or the public, or protect or defend against legal liability.
Whom we disclose your Personal Information to?
We may disclose your Personal Information to:
- our affiliated companies;
- third party service providers, suppliers, or sub-contractors with whom we contract in the ordinary course of business (e.g. payment systems operators, web hosting, cloud storage, database service providers, and/or other service providers);
- freight and logistics providers for the performance of any contract we enter into with them or you;
- advertisers and advertising networks that require the data to select and serve relevant adverts to you and others;
- selected organisations authorised by us to conduct promotional, research or marketing activities;
- subject to your opt-in and/or opt-out rights, to third parties for their own marketing purposes such as co-sponsors of events or activities;
- analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of our websites; and
- any persons acting on your behalf including those persons nominated by you, executors, trustees, and legal representatives.
We may also disclose personal information to law enforcement, regulatory bodies, legal advisors, or similar third parties where we are under a legal duty to disclose or share personal information in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce or apply our website terms and conditions and other agreements; or to protect our rights, property, or safety of our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
Direct Marketing, Advertising and Analytics
We will use or disclose your Personal Information for direct marketing purposes in accordance with applicable law. You can exercise your choices as described below. From time to time, we may contact you with information about products and services offered by us and our related entities and our business partners, which we think may be of interest to you. We may also provide targeted marketing to you whether directly or through online advertisement networks such as those operated by Google, based on your viewing activity of our website. For more information, see “Cookies/Tracking Technology” below.
When we use or disclose your Personal Information for the purpose of direct marketing, you can request not to receive direct marketing communications by clicking the “unsubscribe” link in any email.
You can opt-out of receiving targeted advertising derived from your viewing habits by selecting from your browser’s privacy or security settings to reject, delete or block (as the case may be) the cookies or web beacons used by us in order to conduct such targeted marketing. Please note that cookie-based opt-outs are not effective on mobile applications. However, on many mobile devices, users may limit ad tracking of certain mobile ads via their device settings. The online advertising industry also provides websites from which you may opt-out of receiving targeted ads from our advertising partners that participate in self-regulatory programs. You can access these and learn about targeted advertising and consumer choice and privacy at About Ads, Network Advertising and AdChoices
To be clear, these cookie-based opt-outs must be performed on each device and browser that you wish to have opted-out. You must separately opt-out in each browser on each device. Advertisements on third-party websites that contain the AdChoices link may have been directed to you based on information collected by advertising partners over time and across websites. These advertisements provide a mechanism to opt-out of the advertising partners’ use of this information for interest-based advertising purposes.
You can ask to be removed from our marketing lists at any time by contacting us directly or by logging into your account.
We may also use analytics services such as Google Analytics and other companies to collect information regarding visitor behavior and visitor demographics on our website and services. For more information, please visit www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/. You can manage Google’s collection and processing of data by going to Google Analytics Opt-out.
Where we store your Personal Information
In some circumstances, we may disclose your Personal Information to overseas recipients. If this occurs, we take steps as are reasonable in the circumstances to ensure that the overseas recipient does not breach the relevant privacy laws in relation to that information. We share information between our businesses, located around the world. Sometimes, we use third party platforms and services to process sales, provide web support, send marketing messages, deliver products or otherwise deliver information. These services are hosted and managed by organisations other than ourselves, and some of these services are hosted overseas. Your Personal Information may be stored in a secure and/or encrypted form overseas (e.g. in data storage and cloud computing facilities operated by us (or by third parties on our behalf)).
Data Quality and Security
We will take reasonable steps to ensure that your Personal Information is stored securely and is protected from misuse and loss and from unauthorized access, modification or disclosure. We have a range of systems and communication security measures. Access to your Personal Information is restricted to those properly authorized to have access. We keep your Personal Information for as long as it is required to provide you with the products or services you requested from us and to comply with legal requirements. If we no longer require your Personal Information for any purpose, including legal purposes, we will take reasonable steps to securely destroy or de-identify your Personal Information.
We use various technologies on our websites to appropriately secure transactions and process online orders. You should, however, be aware that there is always an inherent risk in transmitting your Personal Information via the Internet.
Please do not enter any credit card details or sensitive personal information when contacting us via email, through our Live Chat function or through our website “Contact Us” form.
Children’s Personal Information
Cookies are pieces of information that a website transfers to your computer or device when you visit a website. The information collected may be used by us and other third parties as described above including to improve your experience on our website. For example, if you wish to make a purchase using our online store, our cookies will collect information about what is in your shopping cart and assist us to maintain that shopping cart during the transaction.
We may also use web beacons, embedded in our website’s web pages, that work in conjunction with cookies to notify us what web pages on our website are visited by a particular IP address (including by reference to the domain name), computer or device, the date and time of visit to our site, the duration of individual page views, information downloaded, hyperlinks selected and paths taken by the visitor through the site, the visitor's screen settings, and device settings and other general information. That information will be collected either by us directly or by a service provider contracted for that purpose. By measuring how you interact with our website in this way, we may provide targeted marketing to you, based on your viewing activity of our website, whether directly or through online advertisement networks such as those operated by Google.
Do Not Track is a privacy preference offered by certain browsers. We do not respond to "do not track" signals; however, you can exercise your privacy preferences as described above.
Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password that enables you to access certain parts of our site or to use certain site functionality, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone and to choose a unique password.
Your privacy choices
Upon your request, we will (a) correct or update your personal information; (b) stop sending marketing emails to your email address; and/or (c) disable your account to prevent any future purchases through that account. You can make these requests as described below. Please do not email your credit card number or other sensitive information.
We always permit you to unsubscribe or opt-out of marketing emails; however, because we have to communicate with you about orders that you choose to place, you cannot opt-out of receiving emails related to your orders although you can update your information. If you would like to manage your advertising, cookie, and analytics choices, please see the “Direct Marketing, Advertising and Analytics” section above.
How to contact us with privacy questions or concerns
If you are have queries, concerns or complaints about the manner in which your Personal Information has been collected or handled by us or would like to request access to or correction of the Personal Information we hold about you, please use the contact us form or direct your email to firstname.lastname@example.org.