The 2017 Rip Curl GromSearch International Final Is Set To Kick Off On May 2 – 7 on Maresias Beach, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Right now, the world’s best juniors are getting ready to compete for the 2017 Rip Curl GromSearch International Final presented by Coconuts Hotel, at Maresias Beach in Sao Paulo, Brazil.
The Final will be held from May 2 – 7, 2017, and will include competitors from seven different regions around the globe, including Europe, Australia, New Zealand, USA, Indonesia, South Africa and South America.
Competition will take place at the home beach of 2014 WSL World Champion Gabriel Medina, on the white sandy beaches of the northern part of the Sao Paulo coastline. In conjunction with the Medina Institute, 16 of the world’s top up-and-coming surfers will have the chance to stake their claim to this prestigious event, gaining international recognition as a competitive athlete.
2017 List of Competitors:
- Australia: Jay Brown and Sasha Baker
- Brazil: Leonardo Barcelos and Louisie Frumento
- Europe: Yael Pena (Spain) and Ellie Turner (UK)
- Indonesia: Rio Waida and Dhea Natasya Novitasari
- New Zealand: Caleb Cutmore and Elin Tawharu
- USA: Kade Matson and Caroline Marks
Rip Curl ran the first GromSearch event back in 1999 with the goal of providing a fun yet high-level competitive event for junior surfers. Since then it has developed into a worldwide series that culminates in an International Final, held at a different location each year. With an age bracket of under-17, the focus is on nurturing the development of the next generation of elite surfers.
Former GromSearch competitors include 2014 World Champion Gabriel Medina, reigning World Champion Tyler Wright (2016), 6x World Champion Stephanie Gilmore, World Tour competitors Owen Wright, Nikki van Dijk and more.
Previous International Champions
- 2016 Nolan Rapoza (USA) and Brisa Hennessey (Hawaii)
- 2015 Samuel Pupo (BRA) and Leilani McGonagle (Costa Rica)
- 2014 Pat Curren (USA) and Brisa Hennessey (Hawaii)
- 2013 Leonardo Fioravanti (Italy) and Tatiana Weston-Webb (Hawaii)
- 2012 Dylan Lightfoot (ZAF) and Tatiana Weston-Webb (Hawaii)
- 2011 Mitch Parkinson (AUS) and Nikki Van Dijk (AUS)
- 2010 Gabriel Medina (BRA) and Bianca Buitendag (ZAF)
- 2009 Thomas Woods (AUS) and Nikki Van Dijk (AUS)
- 2008 Dale Staples (ZAF) and Malia Jones (HAW)
- 2007 Tyler Newton (USA) and Tyler Wright (AUS)
- 2006 Owen Wright (AUS) and Alana Blanchard (HAW)
- 2005 Mason Ho (HAW) and Nikita Robb (ZAF)
Tune in to Rip Curl’s Facebook, Instagram and website over the International GromSearch waiting period, May 2 – 7, 2017, for daily updates, galleries, videos and more.
Rip Curl GromSearch International Final Is Set To Kick Off